Friday, June 21, 2013

Brilliantly Remove Stickers & Freebie

I have a great tip for you guys for taking sticker labels off! My son is absolutely brilliant!!! He's 16 and helps me out with so many projects! He has such great ideas and even has his own woodworking website: www.dylanswoodworking.com. So proud of him!!!

So, two years ago my school adopted EnVisions for math, leaving Saxon math behind. Our Saxon math materials have been in storage for two years. Over the summer, the custodians are disposing of all of the stored Saxon materials and these were going to be thrown out!!!


Over my dead body! These are awesome, sturdy plastic containers. And being the container freak I am, I knew I had to snag these up!! 


 In order to use them in my room, I knew I had to get rid of the sticker labels.

First thing I thought was, razor blade!
That didn't work! These things are literally baked on!
 So I resorted to soaking them in water.

I'm already thinking this is going to be a job. Each container has 4 labels......and I have 5 containers. That is 20 labels to soak off!!

This was the result of the first label after soaking in bleach water for an hour! Still a major job. I'm beginning to think....is it worth it????

And then my brilliant son came into the picture! 
He says, "Mom, all you have to do is melt the glue with a hairdryer and they'll come right off." 

I'm like, "What? Seriously?"

So I did it, and IT WORKED!!!

I ran the hairdryer across the labels for about 60 seconds, holding it very close! The labels peeled off so clean, without even leaving any sticky stuff!!!! 


I'm telling you the kid is genius!!! Thank god he told me this after only soaking one label. Imagine if I had soaked all of the 20 labels and then he told me this!!!

I have wanted to paint a chair for my classroom! I've been searching second hand stores and finally TODAY, my son and I walked into Good Will for the 3rd time in two weeks and there it was!!!! My chair!! :)



I love it! I was so nervous to begin painting on it, as I haven't attempted a painting project like this in some time, but I did it!


This is one of the chairs that inspired me and the look that I'm leaning towards! 

Isn't it beautiful?



This chair comes from Sydney at


Stay tuned for the finished product!!

Now to link up with TBA for another Freebie Friday!!!

I have some desktop name labels for you!
I've been seeing these everywhere, so I whipped up some for my kiddos......and yours too if you like them!





Get them {here}.


Freebie Fridays

AND
July 1st is my blogoversary! Woohoo! A giveaway!
 photo 34f5bc23-34ff-4f61-8f4e-78ab2288ece2_zpsca0fa96b.jpg
That' right! No misprint!
I'll be giving away my entire store to one lucky winner, plus another surprise!

Giveaway starts July 1st.....so mark your calendars!!

Add this cute button to your blog by going to www.blogoversary.com.



 photo 262537ca-e39d-4585-9d7c-a9633c31f18e_zps73236c33.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I pinned that same chair forever ago and never have gotten around to making one. I can't wait to see your finished product!! :)

    Nicki
    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome way to get rid of the stickers. Wish I'd known to do that. I saved mine for storage too and used the bottom ones with wheels and zip-tied it to crates to hold our lunch boxes. Works great!
    -Leslie
    TeachJunkie.com
    KindergartenWorks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely genius to use a hair dryer to take off labels! I will definitely remember that tip!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Your son is a total genius.thats the best tip I've heard in ages!
    Your chair is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments, and replying! But the only way you'll get my reply is if you are a blogger and have that set up on your Blogger account, or if you come back to your comment to see if I've replied,(which is unlikely to happen). So please leave your email when you comment so that I can be sure you get my response!